fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: christine banny <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 11:14:52 -0800
Subject: CONTACT EXPRESS COURIER PACKAGE COMPANY.
Attn; My Dear,
I have been waiting for you since to come down here and pick your
money but I did not heard from you since that time.Then I went and
deposited the $1.5M as consignment box to EXPRESS COURIER DIPLOMAT
COMPANY in Benin Republic, because I travelled to UNITED KINGDOM to
visit my friend and i will not come back till next month ending. I
want You to contact the EXPRESS COURIER DIPLOMAT COMPANY to know when
they will deliver your package. I have paid for the delivering charges
and security fee including the keeping fee.The only money you have to
send to them is the,insurance fee, which is $95. 00 Us Dollars to
received your package.
CONTACT PERSON;Dr.LOUIE BENNETH DISTRICT MANAGER EXPRESS COURIER
DIPLOMAT COMPANY BENIN REPUBLIC.
Please, Send them your contacts information to enble them locate you
immediately they arrived in your country with your BOX.
This is what they need from you.
1. YOUR FULL NAME
2.YOUR HOME ADDRESS.
3.YOUR CURRENT HOME TELEPHONE NUMBER.
4.YOUR CURRENT OFFICE TELEPHONE.
5.A COPY OF YOUR PICTURE
Try to contact them as soon as possible to avoid increasing the
insurance fee. I gave them your delivering address but you have to
reconfirm it to them again to avoid any mistake on the delivering. Let
me know as soon as you receive your package. Thanks and God bless you,
EXPRESS COURIER DIPLOMAT COMPANY.