fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "MARK LUIS" (may be fake)
Reply-To: <>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 07:33:44 -0800

Castellon de la Plana 20,
28006, Madrid Spain.
Tel: 01134 612 536817
Fax:01134 951232823
REF:    EC/ALFA/AAS307-12  
10th NOV 2021
Business Proposal
My name is Barr. Mark Luis, a personal Attorney to Late MR ARON STEVE who died along-side his entire family on the 11th March 2004 train bombing in Madrid. You can get more information's on the site web address below: , It may surprise you receiving this letter from me, since there was no previous correspondence between us. This is by virtue of its nature as being utterly confidential and top secret hence I solicit your confidence in this matter.
My purpose of contacting you is for you to help secure a cash deposit left behind by my late client, to avoid it being confiscated or declared unserviceable by the Bank where this cash deposit valued US$12. 700. 000, 00 (Twelve Million, Seven Hundred Thousand United States Dollars Only) was deposited by my late client before his accidental death. I got information about this cash deposit a couple of months ago from an inside confidential source in the bank where this huge amount was deposited in a secret account since the year 2003 under Blind Trust Fund Protection Act 6/OJ L184/ PT3 and we have been working on the project since then.
Though I know that a transaction of this magnitude will make any one apprehensive and worried, but there is nothing really to worry about because all relevant documents and information as regards to the cash deposit is in my possession as we speak therefore I guarantee the success of this transaction in all legal definitions. As his attorney I have contacted the bank for the claim of the fund and the Bank has issued me a notice to contact the next of kin or the account will be declared unserviceable and the fund will be retired by the state (Ayuntamiento de Madrid). This type of incident is not new, there are many people who try to evade taxes in their country of origin by depositing their money in a foreign secret accounts but I never knew my late client MR ARON STEVEN had one until his accidental death and the eventual disclosure from my contact in the bank.
Since this account is secret and there is no one left to claim the fund I am contacting you. I am actually asking for your consent to present you to the Bank as the Next of Kin/beneficiary of my late client's MR ARON STEVEN fund, since you have the same last name, so that the fund will be released to you as his next of kin. All the legal documents to back up your claim as my client's next of Kin are with me. All I require is your honest cooperation and absolute confidentiality in order to guarantee success.
Upon the completion of the transaction you will retain 40% of the total sum and the remaining 60% will be for me and my contact in the bank. Please be assured that this transaction is entirely risk free as I guarantee the legality and success of this transaction. For more information please contact me on telephone 01134 612 27 331 , fax 01134 951 23 28 23    or E-mail:
If this business proposal offends your moral ethics, do accept my sincere apology but if on the contrary you wish to achieve this goal with me, please kindly contact me with your interest to enable me start the process of claim immediately.
Awaiting your immediate response.
Best Regards,          
Barr. Mark Luis
Attorney at Law

Anti-fraud resources: