fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "INVESTMENT 101 LIMITED" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 21:31:32 +0200
Subject: BUSINESS AND PROJECT FUNDING / LOAN
We are interested in Inquiring a prospective investment opportunity with you. INVESTMENT 101 LIMITED have mandate from Lloyds bank and we specialize in start up projects and existing businesses needing funding or Loan for expansion. Do you have projects that require funding? public or private offerings, mergers and acquisitions, and initial public offerings or greenfield projects.
This activity is concerned about grabbing investment opportunities in international financial markets, real estate, then studying and evaluating them, in addition to contributing to them directly for the benefit of the company and customers through a specified investment strategy seeking to achieve an awarding profit and at the same time with a previously determined policy.
In brief our criteria is as follows;
Model - Debt Financing
Range - Minimum USD $2 Million to USD $800 Million
Interest - 2% Per Annually
Term - 4 to 20 years
Grace Period - 1 to 2 years
We Provide BG,SBLC.MT103, Project Funding / LOAN.
Contact below for more details.
INVESTMENT 101 LIMITED
3 Belsize Place Belsize Place,
London, Nw3 5al