fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: Ms Dessy Bar <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 14:58:34 +0100
Subject: United Nations Compensation ($1,950,000.00 USD),
United Nations Compensation ($1,950,000.00 USD),
UNITED NATIONS COMPENSATION
UNIT IN AFFILIATION WITH UBA BANK
From:, Special Envoy to
Secretary-General AntÃ³nio Guterres
Contact US Bureau of Diplomatic Security
United Nations Compensation Commission
CONGRATULATION..UNITED NATIONS COMPENSATION COMMISSION. This email is to
all the people that have been victims of Financial crisis due to Covid-19
in any part of the world, the UNITED NATIONS IN Affiliation with UBA Bank
have agreed to compensate you with the sum of One Millions Nine Hundred and
Fifty Thousand United States Dollars ($1,950,000.00 USD), for self
support.This is regarding the draws he organized before he left the office
to help individuals to own a self charity organization also for your to
build your Personal Company/organization so as to help the less privileged
in their society.
This includes every foreign contractor that may have not received their
contract, inheritance sum, and people that have had an unfinished
transaction or international businesses that failed due to Government and
Covid-19 problems and the World financial Crisis etc. We found your name
in the list of those who are to benefit from these compensation exercises
and that is why we are contacting you, this has been agreed upon and has
been signed via UBA ATM VISA CARD . You are advised to contact DHL Courier
service , as he is our DELIVERY representative.
These funds are deposited in an ATM card for security purposes to avoid
another fraud?Therefore, you should send him your full Name... telephone
number.... Postal Address..., PassPort or Driver's License... where you
want the Card to be delivered to. Contact Mr. Dennis immediately at the
given address below: DHL office Benin Branch
Company Name: DHL courier Service
Contact Godwin O. Dennis
PHONE: +229 99 85 73 20
E-mail:* email@example.com <firstname.lastname@example.org>*
I apologize on behalf of my organization for any delay you might have
encountered in receiving your fund in the past. Thanks and God bless you
and your family. Hoping to hear from you as soon as you receive the CASH
DELIVERY , Making the world a better place.
Office of Secretary-
General AntÃ³nio Guterres