fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "claims agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447031986899 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
Fraud email example:
Date: 29 Oct 2021 07:19:42 -0700
FACEBOOK POST COVID19 LOTTO FOUNDATION !!!
(Founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg)
European Region Office:
10B Widemarsh Street Hereford Square,
London HP1 8HFD England.
Dear Lucky Winner,
We happily announce to you that upon conclusion of the 2021
Facebook Post Covid 19 bail Lotto Program, your E-mail
address has emerge as one of the newly introduced Digital
Lottery Program winner which was conducted via your
registered active email at our Facebook Lotto Draw
Headquarters London, United Kingdom organized by Facebook
Inc on which your E-mail address has emerge as one of the
newly introduced Digital Lottery Program winner which
involves the use of email addresses. This lottery started
after Facebook CEO and the wife decided to donate 99% of
the share for Charity , you can watch this proof on :
Facebook Lottery offer this winning every year to promote
the use of Internet and Facebook, support families and
businesses , due to the effect of covide 19 .You email has
won for you One Million United States Dollars ( $1000,000
USD) in the 2021 category and in this category (500) E-mail
address came out as winners and your E-mail is one of the
lucky selected email.
FACEBOOK POST COVID 19 LOTTO FOUNDATION,have WARNED all
winner to keep this notification secrete to avoid
cancellation because Government prefer to get this donation
than giving it direct to individual, so do not expose your
winning till you get your won amount in your local account.
List of Facebook Donation:
YOUR WINNING NOTIFICATION:
Ticket number: 00545 188 564756,
WINNING NUMBER: FB/575061725.
Serial number 5368/02
Lucky numbers: 17 98 09 67 46
Kindly forward below details for your won amount payment
Processing through your claims agent :
Contact Person: Prof. Jerry Hoffman
Contact E-mail: email@example.com
Phone Number: +44-7031-9868-99
(**) Your Full names:
(**) Your Mobile Number:
(**) Your Contact address:
(**) Your Occupation:
(**) Your Country:
(**) Your Age & Sex:
(**) Marital Status:
(**) And your lucky number above:
(**) Won email address:
(**) Won Amount :
(**) Have you won online Before?:
Note: Any prize not claimed within this period (7 working
days)from now will be forfeited. For security reasons, we
advice all winners to keep this information confidential
from the public notice until your claims is processed and
released to you. This is part of our security protocol to
avoid double claiming and unwarranted taking advantage of
this program by non-participant or unofficial personnel,if
double claims arise with your winning , you will be
Follow the directives of your claims agent and paying Bank
to ensure that you get your won amount.
Congratulation once more again on your winning.
Yours in service,
Head Of Lottery Organization.