fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- immediately without any further delay mr.mark agbaje firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com the chief executive of uba bank: (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Ann Kelly" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 01:44:47 -0700
Subject: UBA BANK: United Bank For Africa.
UBA BANK: United Bank For Africa.
Whatsapp number +229)983-866-28
Attention Dear For Your Atm Card
I want to introduce my self to you, I am Mr. Mark Agbaje, The New
director general of UBA BANK: United Bank For Africa West African
States and I actually writing this email to you in person to plead
with you for the delayed, you must have experienced with the previous
administration concerning your fund not being sent to your account. I
actually saw your name and your email in our file yesterday through my
searching as one of the beneficiary who did not receive their fund
valued at US$10.5000,000, 00, which supposedly to be transferred to
you, because your name was among the list given to this office, by the
United States of America Anti-Fraud Office as a scammed victim.
We have made it our first point of call to settle all Outstanding
Payments accrued to Individuals or Corporations with respect to local
and overseas contract payment, Debt Rescheduling and Outstanding
Compensation payment as instructed by the Authorities, this is to make
sure all outstanding payments are settled in this fiscal year 2021,On
behalf of the entire staff of the UBA BANK: United Bank For Africa and
the Authorities in collaboration with World Bank, we apologize for the
delayed of your contract payment, winning or inheritance funds from
most of African Countries and all the inconveniences you might have
encountered while pursuing this payment.
However, from the records of outstanding beneficiaries due for payment
with this bank, your name was discovered as next on the list of the
outstanding beneficiaries who have not yet received their payments,
note that from the record in our file, your payment is valued at the
total sum of (US$10.5000, 000, 00) (Ten Million Five United States of
America).We have your file here in the bank and it shows that you are
yet to receive your fund valued at US$10.5000, 000.00 (Ten Million
Five United States of America). These funds will now be conveyed to
you through your preferred payment option. We have perfected all
modules on how to get your funds across to you without further
immediately once you admit to fully comply with every given
instruction that shall emanate from this banking institution till the
moment this transaction is completed.
Kindly reply to this email by reconfirming the below details so as to
ensure no discrepancies in your payment file and as also to avoid
wrong transfer/delivery of funds.
Working Id/ intl Passport:
As soon as we receive the above mentioned information, your payment
will be processed and released into you personal Bank Account
immediately without any further delay
The Chief Executive of
UBA BANK: United Bank For Africa.