fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "claim agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: SAMSUNG OFFICE <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 12:52:24 -0700
Subject: Dear winner,
SAMSUNG AWARD PROMOTION 2021
SAMSUNG CO-OPERATION UNITED STATES
Samsung House. Summit 85 Challenger Road Ridgefield Park, NJ USA.
SAMSUNG AWARD PROMO 2021
This is an E - mail notification to inform you that Your ( Email
Address) has won you a cash prize of ( US$2,950,000.00 Million USD),
Seven Million Nine Hundred and Fifty Thousand United States Dollars
(only ),and Free Samsung Phones from selected Samsung phones with the
latest Free Gift ( Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus , Samsung Galaxy S21
Ultra, Samsung Galaxy A51 , Samsung Galaxy z Fold 2, and Samsung
Galaxy S21 Fold ) On our online award Sweepstakes promotional draws
July 2021 in United States , Reference Number NPDC- 081511.Batch
Number EUM QY-3LJ4. Ticket Number 085-MXW9.Serial Number 20910. United
States. The online cyber draws was conducted from an exclusive list of
15, 000, 000 email addresses of Individuals and Corporate Bodies
Picked by an advanced automated random computer selection from the
website. And you are one of the fifteen lucky winners. TO CLAIM YOUR
PRIZE CONTACT OUR CLAIM AGENT Mr. James Lowman.
These are your identification Claim numbers
Ref Number:Nawaprom US-11/9765
Batch Number: Pomo/4445/samsung-009
Ticket Number: 908796554100
Serial Number: 00006
Tel:+1 (917) 819-1714
Your Personal information
Full Name :
Next Of Kin
Sex : Male
Name of your bank:
Nb: You should forward the filled form to processing officer
Mr. James Lowman Email: email@example.com
For him to expedite your fund release.