fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr.FRANK YIKE" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 06:13:48 -0700
Subject: RE hi
Dear friend Contact my secretary with this Email (email@example.com)
I'm sorry but happy to inform you about my success in getting those
funds transferred under the co-operation of a new partner from
Paraguay though I tried my best to involve you in the
Gold/diamond,business but God decided the whole situations. Presently
I am in United Arab Emirates for investment projects with my own share
of the total sum.
Meanwhile, I didn't forget your past efforts and attempts to assist me
in transferring those funds despite that it failed us somehow.
Now contact my secretary in MR. Kevin Okumu
His name: Mr.Kevin Okumu
Ask him to send you the VISA CARD total of $2.50000.00 which i kept
for your compensation for all the past efforts and attempts to assist
me in this matter. I appreciated your efforts at that time very much.
So feel free and get in touched with my secretary MR. Kevin Okumu and
instruct him where to send the VISA CARD to you value sum of
Now this amount is me and the new partner contribute and offer you
this amount $ 1.50000.00.USD is from my own share while my new partner
supported you also with sum of $ 1000000.USD from his own share also
because I explain the whole thing to him that you are the first person
I contacted that wanted to assist me bet you could not make it and he
said okay there is no problem.
so that you will kept the whole secret about my success because I knew
that it was only you know how I made the money so try to kept
everything very secret. I hope you understand the reason why this huge
amount of funds was kept for you? Please do let me know immediately
you receive the VISA CARD so that we can share the joy after all the
sufferings at that time. In the moment, I am very busy here because of
the investment projects which I and the new partner are having at
Remember that I had forwarded instruction to the secretary on your
behalf to receive that money, so feel free to keep in touch with him,
so that he will send the VISA CARD value of $2.50000.00.US D. Two
Million Fifty Thousand United State Dollars to you without any delay.