fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- contact person: mr.james brown e-mail (email@example.com) or text me on hangout (firstname.lastname@example.org) contact (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 02:02:23 -0700
Subject: Dear Email Owner/Fund Beneficiary,
FROM THE DESK OF GENERAL MANAGER
WESTERN UNION PAYMENT HEADQUARTER
Tel: +1(732) 422-5891.
Attention Dear Beneficiary,
Your first payment of $5000 have been Sent to you today and Here is
the information; First MTCN #:605-908-3685 Second MTCN
#:605-908-3685.track it now with this
I told him to keep sending you $5000 daily until the payment of
($6.500,000.00 usd dollars) is completed transfer to you and again
forward them your telephone number and address so that they will be
sure for your payment information
Your Full Name:.................
Your Home Address:..............
Your Country/ City: ............
Your Direct Phone Number:.......
Your ID copy:...................
Contact Person: Mr.JAMES BROWN
E-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) or text me on Hangout
Contact our office Phone Number: +1(732) 422-5891
Thanks and hope to read from you soon,