fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Deborah Corde <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 02:48:53 -0700
Subject: Dearest in the lord
sister in the lord
email me firstname.lastname@example.org
I'm a 68 years old woman suffering from prolonged cancer of the breast,
from all medical indications my condition has really deteriorated and it's
obvious that I may not live for more than six months owing to the rapid
growth and pain that accrues to it. My husband died a few years back and
our long years of marriage were not blessed with any child, after his death
I inherited all his wealth.
I come to you after praying over it, I am willing to donate the sum of $3,
200, 000 for your work to help the poor, needy,and less privileged among
your congregations/society. Please note that this fund is deposited in a
bank where my husband worked. I will appreciate it if you will give
attention to my request for propagating the kingdom massage, I will provide
you with more details on how to proceed.
I will be expecting to hear from you soon.
May the Peace of God be with you
Thanks Warm Regards
Mrs. Deborah Corde