fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "your urgent reply" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "very confidential" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Victor Appiah <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 04:39:35 +0100
Subject: DEAR GOOD DAY
I have deal of Fifteen Million Eight Hundred Thousand United State
Dollars Only.($15.8M) in my department and i need a trust worthy person
overseas who will help me to receive the money in 60% for me and 40% for
you but all the whole money will be held by you on trust pending when i
will come with my family to invest my share of the money.
If you are interested send down the following personal details to me and
as soon i hear from you we will proceed but you are advised to keep every
thing regards to this business very confidential to ensure successful
(1)Full names:........................ .....
(3)Age and Sex:..........................
(5)Private mobile phone and fax numbers if any:..................
(6)Current residential address:..............
I am waiting for your urgent reply so that we will starts immediately on
how the fund will move to you in your country through diplomatic
means.Please confirm the receipt of this vital message.
Mr, Victor Appiah