fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "taxation fee" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "international remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "executive governor" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: Central Bank of Nigeria <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 15:16:04 -0700
Subject: Good News ,
*TINUBU SQUARE,VICTORIA ISLAND,LAGOS-NIGERIA *
*FROM THE DESK OF: Godwin Emefiele*
* Executive Governor,Central Bank Of Nigeria (CBN),*
*International Remittance Department,*
*Corporate Headquarters: # CBN House, Tinubu Square,*
*213 Eleke Crescent-Victoria Island, Marina,*
*Lagos, Nigeria, West Africa. *
*P.O.Box 55037 Falomo*
*Ikoyi Lagos Island Marina.*
*CONTRACT NO: NNPC/PED/876CX - WR/KAD/2020*
*CONTRACT AMOUNT: USD200 MILLION US DOLLARS INTEREST RATE OF $900.00 ATM
*Transaction Co**de: (805)*
Good News ,
Now you are not going to pay any cent from your pocket to finance your
I have succeeded in getting an investor in the USA Mrs Angela Williams who
promised to loan you all the needed Taxation fees of $100,000.00 and go
with 10% of your 2020 Interest Rate Payment of $900,000.00 and your $200
million with Washington Trust Bank in USA , you will send her 10% of your
two payment as soon as you receive your Atm card of 2020 Interest Rate
payment of $900,000.00 and your $200 million with Washington Trust Bank
which they promised to transfer to your account as soon as you send the
taxation fees to them and this why the investor Mrs Angela Williams is
send you the check of $100,000.00 to take care of your two Payment .
She said she can only loan you the $100,000.00 if you have a COMPANY
ACCOUNT with any bank in the USA so that she will mail you the check and
once you received the check you sign at the back of check and go to your
bank atm to deposit Only and send the deposit slip .
I will advise you on the account officer in charge officer to send the
fees and receive your interest Rate Payment and your $200 million .
She told me that you should provide your Mailing address and your company
account details to write the check / your WhatsApp number to mail you the
check $100,000.00 which you will receive and deposit it via bank ATM AND IT
CLEAR within 24 hours .
Take note that this loan is to pay the taxation fees to the Government and
receive your Interest Rate payment of $900,000.00 and your $200 million
which I will direct you on how you will send the loaning fees to the
taxation department to avoid you not sending it to the wrong department .
I am giving you 100% Guarantee that this time around that it is a must that
you will receive your Interest Rate of $900,000.00 and your $200 million
with Washington Trust Bank latest next week on your doorstep and Washington
Trust Bank will release your $200 million as soon as you seen the taxation
fees to them that is what the investor is going to loan you .
Follow instructions for your own Good .
Congratulations once again .
Call me now on my Cell Phone : +234-803-500-4247 WhatsApp Number you can
also add me let talk now .
*[image: Image result for Mr. Godwin Emefiele] *
*OFFICIALLY SIGNED *
*Cell Phone: *
* +234-803-500-4247 CALL ME NOW OR ADD IN WHAT SAP LET TALK .*
*REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA. NOTE: BECAUSE OF** IMPOST**ORS,
WE HEREBY ISSUE YOU WITH OUR CODE OF CONDUCT, WHICH IS**(805) SO YOU HAVE
TO INDICATE THIS CODE WHEN CONTACTING THIS OFFICE.*