fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "may come to you as a surprise" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "god fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a "dying widow" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Donna Hary" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 19:17:57 -0700
Subject: Greetings in Jesus name
GREETINGS IN JESUS NAME...
Greetings, I know this message may come to you as a surprise.my name
Hary from United States, I'm a widow suffering from Breast Cancer and
denied me a child as a result i may not last till the next two months
my doctor report. I'm married to late Pastor Donald Hary ,who was
killed during the U.S raid, against terrorism in Afghanistan when he
traveled to Afghanistan and we were married for many years without any
issue child before his death. I'm a 68 years old woman. I have some
funds i inherited from my late husband the sum of (US$10,000,000)
which i needed a very honest and God fearing person who will claim the
funds from the bank and use the funds for work of God Affair donation
in the house of God, like propagating the good news of God and to
endeavor God worshiping place and help less-privileged. I found your
profile as i was reading Rhapsody of Realities healing prayer book. i
felt yomust be Honest to Almighty God. on theprocess the spirit of God
ask me to contact you for the donation work of God Affair.
According to my doctor report i don't need any telephone communication
in this regards because of my health, I am not afraid of death I know
one day I will be in bosom of the Lord. Like Exodus 14 vs. 14 says the
Lord shall fight my case and I shall hold my peace, my family are
unbelievers and I do not want to hand over the donation to unbelievers
so please if you would be able to use the funds for the work of God
Affair as i stated contact me back so i will lead you to Alpha Bank
Financial Inc Headquarter & Office Detroit Center 500 Woodward Ave
Detroit, MI 48226 where this funds was deposited by my late husband
Pastor Donald Hary for you to retrieve the funds in your name as the
next of kin for work of God Affair thanks. Kindly contact me so I can
lead you to the bank where I and my late husband deposited the fund.
please never you contact me if your're not Honest and God fearing to
use this donation for work of God,Please contact me through my private
I will stop here until i hear from you.
Always pray for my health.
May God bless you In Jesus name Amen!!!
Mrs Donna Hary.