fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "atm payment department" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
Fraud email example:
From: Frank Chukwu <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:50:25 -0700
Subject: DIRECTOR, REMITTANCE UNIT UBA BANK NIG PLC
FROM JEAMES JOHNSON
DIRECTOR, REMITTANCE UNIT
UBA BANK NIG PLC
ISLAND LAGOS NIGERIA
[OFFICE OF THE EXECUTIVE]
CONTRACT #: MAV/NNPC/FGN/MIN/010,
Swift Code: BPH KPL PK,
UBA BANK PLC.
Good news,we have a meeting with the house (Federal government of Nigeria)
we informed them that your fund should not cost you any thing because is
your money (Your Card). Moreover, we have an agreement with them that you
should pay only delivering of your card which is 50 U.S. DOLLARS by FedEx
However, you have only two working days to send this 50 U.S. DOLLARS for
the delivering of your card, if we donât hear from you with the payment
information; the Federal Government will cancel the card.
I want you to read below notice carefully, as the notice stand as caution
before it is late. for your consideration, you must be conscious of this
project, as I will soon conclude this transaction with you, incase of any
e-mails, calls you receives regarding this from any individuals claimed to
be me, or e-mails, calls from any organization to you, such must be
forwarded at once to me immediately by e-mail.
Also, it might come to you with different proposals with different names
including my name asking you to come and claim your estate or even funds
belonging to you or to somebody you do not know, I urge you to ignore such
e-mails or calls, while you forward it to me. I want you understand that
the most important thing for me is your understanding and co-operation,
again without this code (0000) donât get back to me.
Moreover, first batch of your card which contains 1,000.000.00 MILLION U.S.
DOLLARS has been activated and is the total fund loaded inside the card.
Your fund which is in total 10,000.000.00 MILLION U.S. DOLLARS will come in
batches of 1,000.000.00 MILLION U.S. DOLLARS and this is the first
batch.Your payment would be sent to you via UPS or FedEx, Because we have
signed a contract with them which should expired by Novmber 30th. Below are
few list of tracking numbers you can track from UPS website(www.ups.com) to
confirm people like you who have received their payment successfully.
JOHNNY ALMANTE ==============1Z2X59394198080570
GARY METZGER ==============1Z2X59394195952759
GLEN PAPANIKAS ==============1Z2X59394198690947
CAROL R BUCZYNSKI ==============1Z2X59394197862530
KARIMA EMELIA TAYLOR ==============1Z2X59394198591527
LISA LAIRD ==============1Z2X59394196641913
POLLY SHAYKIN ==============1Z2X59394198817702
Moreover, this is another people that received there payment through fedEx
website (www.FEDEX.com).I will like you to track this number 8713 7212 9416
EARLENE Calloway ==============8713 7218 2690
RICHARD AUTRY ================= 869713119185
OWEN J KAYODE ================== 871363130860
MARK STUBBS =====================871363116168
You have to reconfirm your full information such as follow:
Full Name: â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦
Home Address or Office: â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦
Cell Phone and Home Phone number: â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦
This is the paying information that you will use and send the 100 U.S.
DOLLARS through western union money transfer.
Address:.. Lagos Nigeria
Amount:.... $50 dollars
I wait the payment information to enable us proceed for the delivering of
your card.And you are advice to call me with this number
FROM JEAMES JOHNSON,
DIRECTOR, REMITTANCE UNIT
UBA BANK NIG P.LC
Director, ATM Payment Department.