fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "money gram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- MoneyGram money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. Along with Western Union it is a preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Deborah Mgbogi" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 10:44:37 +0100
Subject: CONTACT PERSON: Mr. Jeff Edward
GOOD DAY BENEFICIARY,
We have concluded to Send your payment through Money Gram money
transfer $4,000.00 daily until the total fund of ($10.5MILLION ) is
completely transferred. Meanwhile, Mr. Jeff Edward has Sent you
$4,000.00 in your name today. So contact Mr. Jeff Edward, through
Money Gram transfer payment Agent to SEND you the MTCN to pick up this
Please remember to Call and ask him to give you the Reference Number,
sender name, question and answer to pick up the $4000 Also you should
send to him your information to cross check it to avoid mistake.
Phone Number: _________________
Your Occupation _______________
Though, Mr. Jeff Edward has sent you $4000 today so contact Mr. Jeff
Edward WhatsApp Number (+229) 6078-2149 or email
(email@example.com) as soon as you receive this email and ask
him for the Reference Number, sender name and question/answer to pick
the $4000 Please let us know as soon as you received all your fund.
CONTACT PERSON: Mr. Jeff Edward
WHATSAPP NUMBER (+229) 6078-2149
Email ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Mrs. Deborah Mgbogi