fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Olga Syutkina ( Rixos Premium Dubai )" <email@example.com>
Reply-To: "firstname.lastname@example.org" <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 23:39:33 +0000
Subject: (DONATION) OF ($3,500,000.00) FOR CHARITY
YOUR EMAIL ACCOUNT WAS SELECTED FOR A (DONATION) OF ($3,500,000.00) FOR CHARITY. PLEASE CONTACT CHARLES JACKSON WITH THIS EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com> TO CLAIM YOUR (DONATION):
ONLY RESPONSE TO THIS EMAIL (firstname.lastname@example.org<mailto:email@example.com>) WILL BE ACKNOWLEDGED!
Rixos Hotels in U.A.E
Country Director of Learning & Development
Mobile : +971 (55) 977 6444
Rixos Premium Dubai
The Walk, Jumeirah Beach Residence
P.O. Box: 643660 Dubai UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
Phone : +971 (4) 520 0000
Fax: +971 (4) 520 0001
[https://sigimages.rixos.com/images/signatureImages/RixosPDubai/fixedImage/brosur-icon.jpg] <https://rixos.com> [https://sigimages.rixos.com/images/signatureImages/RixosPDubai/fixedImage/Instagram_icon.jpg] <https://www.instagram.com/rixoshotels/> [https://sigimages.rixos.com/images/signatureImages/RixosPDubai/fixedImage/Youtube_icon.jpg] <https://www.youtube.com/user/RixosHotels> [https://sigimages.rixos.com/images/signatureImages/RixosPDubai/fixedImage/facebook_icon.jpg] <https://www.facebook.com/rixoshotels> [https://sigimages.rixos.com/images/signatureImages/RixosPDubai/fixedImage/twitter_icon.jpg] <https://twitter.com/rixoshotels> [https://sigimages.rixos.com/images/signatureImages/RixosPDubai/fixedImage/otherElement.jpg]
This communication contains information from Rixos Hotel Company that may be confidential. Except for personal use by the intended recipient, or as expressly authorized by the sender, any person who receives this information is prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, and/or using it. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately delete it and all copies, and promptly notify the sender. Nothing in this communication is intended to operate as an electronic signature under applicable law.