fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "MR.PETER JAMES" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 13:22:06 +0100
Subject: PICK UP YOUR ATM VISA CARD
I have registered your ATM CARD of US$9.5M with DHL Courier Company
with registration code of(Shipment Code awb 33xzs)please Contact with
delivery information such as,Your Name, Your Address and Your
I have paid for the Insurance & Delivery fee.The only fee you have to
pay is their Security fee $138 Please indicate the registration Number
and ask Him how to pay their Security fee so that you can pay it
Shipping company Office:
Name of :MR.PETER JAMES
Tel:+1 424 275 1695
Ms.Rose Liberty.Chase bank plc