fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "account opening" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "account opening form" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Johnson Adams" <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 11:57:52 +0100
Subject: DIAMOND Bank Online Services
DIAMOND BANK GROUP BENIN REPUBLIC.
(DIAMOND) LINER POOL, M60 4EP
my whats App number +229 62 09 08 46
Contact person: Mr.Johnson Adams
Director/ Foreign Affairs Ops Dept.
ONLINE BANK WIRE TRANSFER
The Remittance of Your Fund $15.5 Million To Your Personal Bank
Account: I believe you are alive and doing well to be reading this
important and urgent E-mail from the sub-regional office of the
DIAMOND Republic of Benin, I am writing you this mail with urgent
concern to officially inform you that our GPS Network Server System
(GPS NSS) recently detected? an unknown Fund Transfer Payment File
(FTP File) valued at $15.5 million, after our investigation on the FTP
file we discovered your name and data information on the file
confirming you as the Payment Receiver so we presented the FTP file to
the World Bank Department of Europe sub-region, so therefore we have
now been authorized to wire this fund directly to your Personal Bank
Account because your Fund Transfer Payment file was officially
cleared with a Bill of Clean Sheet as your name and data information
was clearly verified on the FTP file that was detected by our GPS
NSS.We also wish to inform you that a Domiciliary Account must be
opened for you here in this our bank where your fund must be lodged in
before it is properly processed for our Online Bank Transfer, so you
are also requested to fill out the Account Opening Form as requested
bellow,REQUESTED INFORMATION FOR
NEW ACCOUNT (Non residential account)
Your First Name:
Your Middle Name:
Your Last Name:
Date of Birth:
Next of Kin:
Finally, do bear in mind that once we confirm the requested
information above from you we shall effect your Fund Transfer within
24 hrs immediately. If you have any question or inquiry please feel
free to call our Customer Fulfillment Center on my whats App number
+229 62 09 08 46.Thank you for your understanding as we hope to hear
from you soon.
DIAMOND Bank Online Services