fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Gregory Philip Jr" <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 03:06:42 -0700
Subject: United States Postal Service
United States Postal Service
421 8TH AVE
NEW YORK, NY 10001-9998
This is United State Postal Service Delivery Company ,The management
of this company wishes to inform you that we received a parcel
containing an ATM Master Card valued $3 million USD with some vital
documents attached on it for safety delivery at your home address
within' the next 48 hrs as soon as we hear back from you. This is
(payment office ) I am directed to inform you that Your payment
verification and confirmations is OK.
This parcel was brought to us this morning by the ATM Card payment
office/United Nation(U.N) as your inheritance approved fund to be
delivered to your residential home address without any delay, so
kindly reconfirm the below information to avoid delivery your ATM
Master Card to a wrong hand.
Parcel owner addressâ¦â¦â¦..
Scan Copy of Your International Passport Or Driver's License.
We will register your package and send you the tracking numbers before
we proceed for safety delivery of your package as soon as you
reconfirm the required information for safety delivery, POST OFFICE is
one of the world's great success stories, the start-up that
revolutionized the delivery of packages and information. In the past
30 years, we've grown up and grown into a diverse family of companies
as POST OFFICE that's bigger, stronger, better than ever.
I'm waiting to read your e-mail on this Email ID Which is
(firstname.lastname@example.org) and you can as well contact us for immediate
delivery of your long awaited fund.
Mr. Gregory Philip Jr
From United State Postal Service New York