fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: john kelly <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 10:31:57 +0100
Subject: GOOD DAY:
Regarding the release of your funds. Your payment file was brought to my
office and after going through the process and arrangement of your FUNDS
RELEASE, This FUND we are talking about is the sum of $1.5Million usdollars
only. It was arranged to be sent to you through BANK to BANK TRANSFER / ATM
CARD DELIVERY/ CONSIGNMENT BOX DELIVERY.
Now You have to choose one option on how you want to receive your FUNDS.
(1) BANK TO BANK TRANSFER (WIRE)cost $250
(2) CONSIGNMENT BOX DELIVERY. cost $150
(3) ATM CREDIT CARD DELIVERY. cost $130
Choose above listed process for your fund release to you.
Furthermore : You have to bear in mind that each option required good
processing with TRUST and HONEST. I shall be expecting to hear from you
as soon as possible for immediate release of your FUNDS.
Mr john kelly