fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "foreign remittance manager" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr. Richard Harry" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 10:38:14 +0100
Subject: COMPASSION PAYMENT OF $7.5 MILLION DOLLARS.
BANCO SANTANDER SPAIN
Pl. del PrÃncipe, 2, 39003 Santander, Cantabria, Spain
PHONE: +34 631 01 00 71
I MUST SAY THAT I HAVE ENORMOUS RESPECT FOR YOU CONSIDERING THE MANNER IN
WHICH I HAVE MADE CONTACT WITH YOU.
I AM RICHARD HARRY, THE FOREIGN REMITTANCE MANAGER, Banco SANTANDER SPAIN.
WE HAVE BEEN INSTRUCTED THIS DAY BY THE CONCERNED AUTHORITY TO HAVE YOUR
FUNDâS RELEASE-PROTOCOL COMPLETED, CONTRARILY, THE FUND WILL BE DECLARED
UNSERVICEABLE BY THE BANK.
KINDLY NOTE THAT THIS FUNDS WERE GENERATED BY THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT
FROM THE WORLD BANK, DUE TO THE RATE OF DECEPTIONS OUT THERE IN THE WORLD,
THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENTS HAVE FILED A CASE AGAINST SOME COUNTRIES
GOVERNMENT AND ALL OTHER INDIVIDUALS INVOLVING IN SCAM ACTIVITIES, AFTER
THE CASE HAS BEEN TAKEN TO COURT, THE LAW COURT GAVE ORDERS THAT THOSE
COUNTRIES' GOVERNMENT AND ALL INDIVIDUALS TO RELEASE THE TOTAL SUM OF TWO
BILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS ONLY WHICH WAS TAGGED UNCLAIMED FUND.
THEREAFTER THE FUNDS HAVE BEEN RELEASED FROM THE WORLD BANK TO BANCO
SANTANDER SPAIN, TO HAVE THE FUND RELEASE WITH AN IMMEDIATE EFFECT, THE
UNITED STATES GOVERNMENTS HAS CHOSEN BANCO SANTANDER SPAIN TO INFORM THE
RIGHTFUL BENEFICIARY, AND YOUR NAME AND EMAIL ADDRESS WAS ALSO FOUND ON OUR
THE TIME FRAME IS VERY SHORT AND TECHNICALLY, HAND DELIVERY IS THE FASTEST
MEANS OF GETTING THIS DONE, SO WE HAVE REVERTED TO STATUS THROUGH MEANS OF
UNITED NATIONS COURIER SERVICE.
THIS ($7,500,000.00) WHICH IS ON YOUR NAME, CAN ONLY BE DELIVERED TO YOU
VIA HAND-TO-HAND DELIVERY.
TO THIS END WE REQUEST YOU TO RECONFIRM BELOW INFORMATION TO ENSURE
ACCURATE DELIVERY OF YOUR FUND.
YOUR REFERENCE CODE IS: (BS/UN/FND/0702)
PLEASE REMEMBER TO STATE IT AS A SUBJECT WHEN CONTACTING US AND YOUR FUND
WILL BE DELIVERED WITHIN THE 48 WORKING HOURS.
THEREFORE FORWARD YOUR DETAILS TO THIS EMAIL:
MR. RICHARD HARRY
FOREIGN REMITTANCE MANAGER,
BANCO SANTANDER SPAIN