fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "your urgent reply" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "is highly confidential" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- "is 100% risk-free" (almost true for the criminal trying to scam you - arrests of online criminals are rare)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs.Susan Mokate. <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2021 14:45:52 +0000
My name is MRS.SUSAN BUANG MOKATE. I am a senior government official in the Department of Public works and housing of the Republic of South Africa and the Chairman of the board in charge of the contracts award execution and supervision of all contracts in the Ministry of works and Housing. In 2020, I personally monitored and Supervised the awarded contracts for the supply of building materials and
construction of Ultra modern shopping malls, low cost housing units, airports maintenance and Stadiums and hospitals /laboratories and Medical Equipment's for COVID-19 preparations in the Eastern Cape,
Western Cape, Natal and Gauteng Provinces here in South Africa.
My colleague and I are serving in the board deliberately inflated And over invoiced the contract sum, leaving an excess of US$89.500,000.00(Eighty Nine Million Five Hundred Thousand United States dollars). At the completion of the contract, the real contract sum was paid to the original contractors, leaving the excess, which we reported to the Government that it belonged to the sub-contractor that handled part of
the original contract. But the company we Submitted as the beneficiary was a non-existing foreign company, which was a purported attempt by us to divert the money for our private use. I do not intend to mince words with you, I have to tell you the truth; this is a deal but it is 100% risk-free and genuine because the contract has been perfectly and genuinely executed and completed. It depends on whether you are interested or not. Right now this amount is due for payment and is floating in the treasury not attached to anyone/company. We are only two people who know the origin of this fund. But we cannot claim it by ourselves because we are civil servants therefore we are looking for a trustworthy foreign company / individual whose name we can use to claim the money for our mutual benefit.
This is strictly a business deal, but it is 100% risk-free and secure because we will use our official positions to source all the necessary approvals, official documents and certificates that will back up the
fund to reflect that you/your company genuinely executed and completed the contract. All necessary arrangements have been put in place in all the relevant departments for immediate approval of this payment.
For your co-operation, we have agreed to offer you 35% of the entire amount on conclusion of the transaction while 65% will be for us. Please if you are interested in this proposal, I want you to respond
immediately through my personal and telephone stated above for further information and directives. This transaction is expected to be completed within 14 working days and is highly confidential and discreet.
In this timelines which I want to invest are Estate developer, Construction company, Hospital, Hotel Management, Tourism, Import & Export, Sports, Shopping mall, Agriculture & Transportation. Maybe in
other investment which you can introduce as my partner. Please do endeavor to write me back on my E-mail(email@example.com ) for more details. On receipt of your response, I will forward to you further information which will give you a clearer overview of this project.
Thank you for your co-operation. Your urgent reply is awaited.
MRS.SUSAN BUANG MOKATE.