fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic agent" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Outblaze.com, Hong Kong; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- airport (pennsylvania) pa 16505, usa email:: firstname.lastname@example.org email:: email@example.com phone number: +1 (Consultant; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "FROM, MR.GREG HELMS" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 12:17:44 -0700
Airport Storage and Cargo Unit
Erie International Airport (Pennsylvania) PA 16505, USA
Call.. +1 3055 0182 89
In view of your inability to receive your Consignment Box Reg #:
HG1N8875B2, originally scheduled to be delivered to you by the agency
foreign payment service. The Cargo box in a metal box valued
$7,316,000USD (Seven Million, Three Hundred and Sixteen thousand
United States dollars) arrived at Philadelphia International Airport
via United Airlines Flight UA 4130.
I am writing to inform you that we have intercepted and investigated
the said Consignment box and the investigation proved the legitimacy
of its content. Note, your Consignment box was initially scheduled to
be deliver in your destination, the Diplomatic Agent who arrived with
the Cargo box made several attempts to reach you, but all efforts
proved abortive, so he decided to leave/go back to his country, but
before he left he settled the delivery charges and left only Storage
Keeping Charges unpaid due to the reasons that he did not know when
you will make claim on the Cargo Box and Storage Unit charges $35.00
for per/each day the Consignment box stays in our custody.
You are therefore advised to contact me back as we the Cargo Unit and
U.S Customs are to assist you recover and deliver the cargo box to you
or we will be compelled to list your Consignment Box as an unclaimed
and maybe forfeited and moved to the United Kingdom for holding.
God Bless United States of America.
Director. Airport Storage and Cargo Unit Erie International Airport
(Pennsylvania) PA 16505, USA
Phone Number: +1 3055 0182 89