fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "transfer into your account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Luis Fernando" <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 08:57:10 +0200
Subject: DEAR FRIEND
Before I introduce myself, I wish to inform you that this letter is
not a hoax mail,My name is Mr. Luis Fernando. from Burkina Faso, West
Africa. I work in Society Genera Burkina Faso (SG;BF) as telex manager with
the business proposal of ($10.5million Dollars) to transfer into your
account if you
are interested get back to proceed about the fund to be transfer if you are
interested, i give you the detatls about the transaction, looking forward
to hearing from you immediately for further information.if you believe to
work with me nobody come it asking you about the fund
Thanks with all my best regards.
Mr. Luis Fernando,
Society General Burkina Faso (SG.BF)