fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr,Meyo Owen" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 13:45:17 +0100
Subject: URGENT ATTENTION OFFICIAL GUARANTEE LETTER FROM (DIAMOND BANK
URGENT ATTENTION OFFICIAL GUARANTEE LETTER FROM (DIAMOND BANK
this is my whatsApp number +229 62 09 08 46
A report came to our office this morning regarding an ATM Master
Card,which you are supposed to receive by now from (DIAMOND BANK) our
Investigations has been made and we had discovered that the (DIAMOND
BANK) old manager,Mr.Frank "was behind all of delays and plans to
divert the ATM Card to his personal Home Address ,The report was made
from the State Finance Commission yesterday,
that your fund have not be released to you. The police and IMF took
actions and we tracked The bank manager and he was arrested and he is
now in count for attempting a fraud act to seize your fund of'($6.7
million united state dollar),contact this office for swift action and
delivery of ATM Master Card to the rightful owner fund Home Address
today without any further delay. We anticipate your swift response and
usual cooperation, as per the subject matter .compensation which was
made approved by the State Government to you as beneficiary .You
hereby within advised to immediately the post office manager,informed
me that it will take good 6 HOURS to get to your Home Address You are
advised to include the followings below:
(1).Your Full Name,
(3).Your Direct Telephone Numbers,
(4).Your Direct Office Phone Numbers,
(6).Your Correct Home Address,
(8).Your Current Occupation,
(12).Your Next Of Kin Name,
(13).Your Next Email Address,
You have to contact Inspector Admin -(DIAMOND-BANK ) Payment Center
Dr. Meyo Owen This is to inform you that we have done and concluded
all the necessary arrangement for your payment worth of $2.7 million
united state dollar) which have to be pay to you through (DIAMOND-BANK
African PLC) with ATM Master Card.
Finally, you are being legally contacted regarding the release of your
long awaited fund. After a detailed review of your file, the United
Nation Monetary Unit, World Bank and the US Homeland Security
Department has been Authorized to release your ATM MASTER CARD
immediately. The sum of $14.7 Million USD has been approved in your
favor via (DIAMOND-BANK PLC desk.) YOURS IN SERVICE,
Thanks for Your Co-operation.
DIAMOND BANK OFFICE
ATM Master Card Delivering Department.
this is my whatsApp number +229 62 09 08 46
NOTE: This payment includes Scam Victims and international businesses
that has failed due to government problems etc and please take note
that any other contact you made out of the UN awareness is at your own