fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "foreign payment department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- director dr. mrs. jan robert mackie. e-mail; (email@example.com) (firstname.lastname@example.org) pls kindly reconfirm (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- email@example.com (Citromail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Mr Richard Dale <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 10:20:42 +0200
Subject: YOUR URGENT REPLY IS NEEDED
Your name and your contact details has been given to this office in
of your total inherited/compensation fund owed to you which you have
failed to claim because of either non-compliance of official processes
or because of your unbelief of the reality of your genuine payment.
You are hereby notified that your Inheritance/Contract Payment of six
million Eight Hundred Thousand United States Dollars ($6.8 M) has been
approved to be made to you through UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA ATM Visa
Card. The total funds due to you will be processed and programmed into
an ATM Cash card that will be dispatched to your designated address
Through any delivery company of your choice. Your ATM CARD can be
in any ATM
Stand/location worldwide at the maximum rate of $5,000.00 USD dollars
per day.For confirmation of beneficial right, you are subjected to
this email through UBA BANK mail service and provide them with the
following requirements to enable them commence action in processing
and delivering of your ATM VISA CARD immediately. Contact UBA BANK Director
Dr. Mrs. Jan Robert Mackie.
PLS KINDLY RECONFIRM YOUR INFORMATION TO ME AGAIN
TO AVOID WRONG DELIVERING OF YOUR ATM VISA CARD
FOR IMMEDIATE DELHIVERY OF YOUR ATM CARD TO YOUR ADDRESS.
The use of the ATM Cash card is to by-pass the rigorous documentations
that has resulted in the delays and demands for obnoxious fees by
corrupt officials of government and ensure that you receive you due
payment expeditiously. We require your maximum co-operation and
understanding to proceed with this arrangement which has been designed
to favor you.
Yours faithfully.From Mr Richard Dale
FOREIGN PAYMENT DEPARTMENT
UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA
TELL: (+229 98806191)