fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "foreign exchange" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: UNITED BANK PLC <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 12:41:39 -0700
Subject: Hello Dear Beneficiary,
Dear beneficiary ,
IRREVOCABLE PAYMENT ORDER VIA ATM CARD
The management of UN here in Geneva, Switzerland wishes to acknowledge
the receipt of your concise email response with the reconfirmation of
your personal data as demanded.Now that you have made your intentions
known that you want to claim your funds worth US$15,500,000.00
(Fifteen Million Five Hundred Thousand US Dollars), we shall not
hesitate to intimate you with the delivery requirements before the
shipment of your funds ATM Card to your home address as provided in
your previous email. The only thing required for the delivery to
commence is for you to obtain Country Athorization Delivery Permit
valued at $150 from the appropraite authority of which as soon as the
above listed is obtained your ATM will be delivered within the next 24
hours to your home address
Below Are The Features of Your ATM Visa Card:
1. Your ATM Visa Card bears your Name
2. It has a secret 4-digit PIN (Personal Identification Number) Number
that will be given to you the day it arrives to your address
3. You are entitled to make a maximum withdrawal of US$6000 (Six
Thousand USD) daily from your Card
4. It is accessible with any ATM Machine around the Globe.
5. If stolen or misplaced, we shall have the Card blocked within
24-hours and re-issue and send you a new one immediately with your
actual balance before it was stolen.
6. One month after usage, we shall issue you a Credit Card with the
left-over balance on your Visa Card account and this will allow you to
make a huge payment when you intend buying things like houses, cars or
investing into a large-scale business without having to wait to
withdraw US$6000 daily to accumulate the required amount you need as
this could be stressful especially when you need to pay for what you
wish to buy immediately.
We also received an Irrevocable Foreign Exchange Approval Order from
the mentioned offices through the fiscal revenue implications of the
prospective economic partnership agreement / policy with our
commission on debt liquidation statistics for remittance of the above
sum to you without any delay as your ATM Card delivery with us has
already been approved on your behalf and this reliable Institution as
soon as you meet up with the delivery requirement by obtaining the
Country Athorization Delivery Permit which is valued at $150 inline
with International and Local Banking Laws.
At this juncture, we urge you to fill out in capital letters the
attached ATM Card Processing Form below and return the informations
along with a copy of your valid photo or identification ID for
identification purpose; preferably driverâs license or passport to
enable us commence the payment implementation processes, such as
evaluation, appraisal, certification and validation exercise prior to
remittance of your fund through ATM Card delivery
Please reconfirm your full details to avoid wrong delivery Such as:
Beneficiary First Name: ..........
Home Address: â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦.............
Your Home/ Cell Phone No.....................
Your Occupation...................Company Name if
Your Valid Id for identification purpose: ............
Marital Status: .â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦Religion: â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦.
Thanks and if you have questions, we encourage you to email us immediately
I......... Hereby attest that the information given above is correct
and is given in good faith.
Swift Card Consultants Payment Center
+229 98 27 31 93 +1 740 206 9173 (Call or SMS)
Office Email: email@example.com