fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Fortune Crypto Currency <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 04:09:05 -0700
Subject: The Delivery Agent Just Arrived Your Cityt with Your ATM Card
I wish to inform you about the latest update on your transaction and the
remittance order from our new elected President Joe Biden regarding all
outstanding and overdue inheritance and Winning Funds . According to the
new development of this Government your awarded inheritance fund of $4.5M
has been transferred to one of the best investment firm ,Due to lots of
taxes and clearances impose over this Inheritance the bank board of
directors decided to reinvest this fund for you with legal investment firm
where it can earn you profits every 7 days,You'll have to contact the
investment company CEO through his phone number and personal email secured
for more details about your fund deposited with them.
Here is the CEO Full details:
Name: Timothy Sullivan
They will furnish you with all the access you need to access your fund was
informed that fund has been approved and available. Kindly contact them
asap and also check your email for deposit notification