fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Zakari Othman <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 08:39:02 -0700
Subject: Reply to my private Email: email@example.com
I believe you may be in a position to assist me for this my proposed
transaction, It is Raw Metal Gold of 200 kilograms, 24 Carat (
Currently i am intend to sell at 40,000 US Dollars per kilo not on
world ruling market price), I am looking for a trust worthy individual
or a buyer of this mineral, whom I can confided with because this said
goods is a family inheritance and i am the heir apparent and my
problem now I am facing is exportation aspect of this goods out from
my country here, the said goods is under the custody of the Shipping
Agent here with all proof documentation intact. My current emergency
is the degrading political situation in my country.
I assure you it is risk free, this transaction will be done legally
and need honesty and confidentiality to maintain in this transaction.
I will follow any advice you may desire or intend to render to me for
us to be successful in this deal.
Reply to my private Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not reply if you are not interested! Because I need a
serious partner call with a good credibility.
Mr. Zakari Othman