fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Jackie Fowler <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 07:32:20 +0000
Subject: Good Day My beloved,
I am glad to know you, but God knows you better and he knows why he
has directed me to you at this point in time so do not be surprised at
all. My name are Mrs.Jackie Fowler.i'm a widow, i have been suffering
from ovarian cancer disease. At this moment i am about to end the race
like this because the illness has gotten to a very bad stage, without
a child of my own. I hope that you will not expose or betray this
trust and confidence that I am about to entrust to you for the mutual
benefit of the orphans and the less privileged ones. I have some funds
I inherited from my late husband,the sum of ($12,500,000.000,
dollars.) deposited in the Bank. Having known my present health
status, I decided to entrust this fund to you believing that you will
utilize it the way i am going to instruct herein.
Therefore I need you to assist me and reclaim this money and use it
for Charity works, for orphanages and giving justice and help to the
poor, needy and to promote the words of God and the effort that the
house of God will be maintained says The Lord." Jeremiah 22:15-16."
It will be my great pleasure to compensate you with 35 % percent of
the total money for your personal use, 5 % percent for any expenses
that may occur during the international transfer process while 60% of
the money will go to the charity project.
All I require from you is sincerity and the ability to complete God's
task without any failure. It will be my pleasure to see that the bank
has finally released and transferred the fund into your bank account
therein your country even before I die here in the hospital, because
of my present health status everything needs to be processed rapidly
as soon as possible. Please I am waiting for your immediate reply on
my private email (email@example.com) for further details of
the transaction and execution of this charitable project.
God bless you and your family.
Written from the hospital.