fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Kane Fresta" <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 22:55:18 +0100
Subject: YOUR ATM CARD NOTIFICATION!!!.
Payment Release Instruction From The DHL Company.
THIS IS ASSISTANCE DIRECTOR OF DHL DELIVERY COURIER COMPANY.
It's my pleasure to inform you that your over due inheritance contractual
compensation funds is right now in our office.The bank hereby officially
notifying you about the present arrangement of your ATM CARD delivery.Your
over due inheritance fund which you could not complete the process of the
released of your delivery through the Digitized Payment System.
They have decided to pay your funds through (ATM Master Express Credit
Card) the ATM Master Express Credit Card was contracted and powered by
GOLD CARD WORLD WIDE. This arrangement was initiated/constituted by
the World Bank, United Nation, IMF, IRS AND FBI due to fraudulent activities
going on within the world.
The ATM MASTER EXPRESS CARD is credited with the sum of Thirty Million
US Dollars ($30,000,000.00 United States Dollars,) It is already loaded
in the Master Card which you can use to access your fund in any ATM Stand
location worldwide and remember that the maximum withdrawal daily limit
is Ten Thousand United States Dollars($10.000.00 USD)
Kindly provide me with the below details in your response to this email
to enable us commence with the shipment of your ATM Card to you.
1. Your Full Names:..............
2. Home Address:.................
6. Phone Number:.................
7. Valid ID Card or Drivers License:........
8. Age & sex.....................
Understand that you will be liable for the delivery fee of $148 for your ATM
Master Express Card to you by the above courier company.
CONGRATULATIONS IN ADVANCE.
Mr Richard Jackson
Assistance Director DHL COMPANY