fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Investment <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 15:18:49 +0100
Subject: Greetings to you.
Attention CEO / Manager.
Greetings to you.
I am contacting you with a keen interest to consider a possible
collaboration through investments in viable projects in your country. As
a way of introduction, I am an accredited broker to the Atlantic
financial services firm here in USA.
The financial services firm I represent is solely responsible for
investment and loan funds through a diversified investment strategy,
targeting positive capital returns through a global expansive portfolio,
hence their interest in seeking possible collaboration with a capable
private individual or firm globally.
The Atlantic financial services firm intends to invest the sum of
â¬1,000,000,000.00 (One Billion Euros) in areas of agriculture, mining,
manufacturing, Aviation, construction, Real estates etc, as well as any
business you consider viable with good return of Investment (ROI). We
are ready to invest in project developments and business ventures that
can generate at least 5% Annual Return on Investment (ROI) per annum.
We will be glad to partner with you in any viable project initiative
within our scope of funding. If interested please write to me for
possible business collaboration, you can reach me on details below
Telephone/WhatsApp: +1 970 724 4058
Mr. Johnson Larry.
Investment Fund Manager.
Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the use of the
named recipient(s) and may contain confidential and/or proprietary
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the
sender and delete this message. Any unauthorized use of the information
contained in this message is prohibited.