fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "2021 DIRECTORS EMAILS IS NOW AVAILABLE." <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 02:28:32 -0700
Subject: UNLIMITED WEBMAIL THAT SEND 500/500 IS NOW AVAILABLE...
Hello. I am BRIGHT from Benin..... hve unlimited inbox smtp, hve
israelite rdp that last u complete one month, also hve webmail that
send 500/500 at once, unlimited sending and last u one month.
Have 2021 data base directors email addresses from usa, canada,
europe, australia & germany. One million emails is 25k with free inbox
smtp.......I CAN ALSO HELP YOU BOMB YOUR FORMAT WITH MY CRAZY MONSTER
SOFTWARE IN MY SYSTEM.
I build online banking with domain email address. also can create nd
activate usa & uk number to your local mobile number. contact me on my
email for more info: email@example.com, phone/whatsapp line: