fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (AOL; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Mr Bill Gates <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 06:47:09 -0700
Subject: $5 MILLIONS DONATIONS BY BILL GATES
Greetings You have been gifted $5 MILLION USD From Mr Bill Gates. Contact
me at this email for your claim: email@example.com
I hope this information meet you well as I know you will be curious to know
why/how I selected you to receive a sum of $5,000,000,00 USD,
I BILL GATES decided to donate the sum of $5,000,000,00 USD to you as part
of my charity project to improve the 10 lucky individuals all over the
world from my $65 Billion Usd I Mapped out to help people. i prayed and
searched over the internet for assistance and i saw your profile on
Microsoft email owners list in google and picked you.i have decided to make
sure this is put on the internet for the world to see. as you could see
from the webpage above,am not getting any younger and you can imagine
having no much time to live. although am a Billionaire investor and i have
helped some charity organizations from my Funds.
You see after taken care of the needs of our immediate family members,
Before i die i decided to donate the remaining of my Billions to other
individuals around the world in need, the local fire department the red
cross, Haiti, hospitals where Melinda underwent her cancer treatment, and
some other organizations in Asia and Europe that fight cancer, alzheimer's
and diabetes and the bulk of the funds deposited with my payout bank of
this charity donation. i have kept just 30% of the entire sum to myself for
the remaining days because i am no longer strong am sick and am writing you
from hospital computer.and i will be traveling to Germany for Treatment.
To facilitate the payment process of the funds ($5,000,000.00 USD) which
have been donated solely to you, you are to send me
your full names.................
your contact address................
your personal phone number...............
SEND YOUR ABOVE DETAILS TO firstname.lastname@example.org
So that i can forward your payment to you immediately. I am hoping that you
will be able to use the money wisely and judiciously over there in your
City. please you have to do your part to also alleviate the level of
poverty in your region, help as many you can help once you have this money
in your personal account because that is the only objective of donating
this money to you in the first place.
Thank you for accepting my offer, i am indeed grateful You Can Google my
name for more information: Mr Bill Gates or Bill Gates Foundation
Mr Bill Gates