fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "a security company " (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a "dying widow" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs.Susan Vivian Davida" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 09:37:39 +0100
Subject: A DONATION FOR THE WORK OF GOD, FROM MRS.SUSAN VIVIAN DAVID
Mrs.Susan Vivian Davida
Centre Hospitalier et Universitaire
Greeting to you in the name of our God almighty ,
I am the above-named person from Italy. I am married to Mr.Andrew
David who was an Oil Consultant/ Contractor with the Kampala National
Petroleum Corporation Uganda for nine years before he died in the year
2012,We were married for eleven years without a child.
He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days. Before
his death we were both born again Christian and we worship in the
glorious chapel church of God.
Since his death I decided not to remarry or get a child outside my
matrimonial home which the words are against.
When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of $8.5 Million
(Eight million five hundred thousand U.S.dollars)in a Security Company
in Kampala Uganda Presently, the fund is still with the Security
Recently, my Doctor Dr.Mrs Lina told me that i have serious sickness
which is a cancer problem. The one that disturbs me most is my stroke
sickness but I pray to God to heal me so that I will be alive and see
his work done as my late husband instructed me.
Having known my condition I decided to donate this fund to a
church,individual or mosque that will utilize this money the way I am
going to instruct herein,I want somebody that will use this fund for
orphanages widows,propagating the word of God and to endeavor that the
house of God is maintained,The words of God made us to understand that
blessed is the hand that giveth.
I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit
this money and my husband relatives are not good to me and I don't
want my husband efforts to be used by unbelievers,I don't want a
situation where this money will be used in an ungodly way,This is why
I am taking this decision,I am not afraid of death hence I know where
I am going,I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the Lord.
Exodus 14 VS 14 says that the lord will fight my case and I shall hold
my peace I don't need any telephone communication in this regard
because of my health hence the presence of my husband relatives around
me always,I don't want them to know about this development,With God
all things are possible.As soon as I receive your reply I shall give
you the contact of the Security Company to communicate with them and
claim the donation of the funds by all means and power. I want you to
always pray for me because the lord is my shepherd.
My happiness is that I lived the life of a worthy Christian.Whoever
that Wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and Truth.Please
always be prayerful all through your life. Any delay in your reply
will give me room in sourcing for another church or individual or
mosque for this same purpose.Please assure me that you will act
accordingly as I Stated herein. Hoping to receive your reply for more
details and please always put me in prayer so that our good God will
heal me from my sickness.
Remain blessed in God.
Mrs.Susan Vivian David