fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- "diplomatic agent" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "federal high court" (This court is often mentioned in '419' scams to give the victim a reason why he/she should send thousands of dollars to the scammers. A 'Federal High Court' exists in Germany and Nigeria, but not in other countries, such as the UK, Spain, Netherlands, Senegal, Benin, South Africa or other countries where fake lawyers in scams often claim to be based. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: diplomat agent <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 13:34:54 -0800
Subject: Attn Beneficiary
NOTE THIS IS YOUR PACKAGE REGISTERED CODE NO XGT442.I want to
acknowledge you that we have finally succeeded in getting your
CONSIGNMENT BOX worth's of $7.5million out of UNITED STATE OF AMERICA
department with the help of Mr. Randy George Attorney General of
Federal High Court of Justice which act as your foreign Attorney
representative here in USA.
Meanwhile every necessary arrangement has been made successfully with
the Agent JAMES LOGAN for the delivery of your CONSIGNMENT BOX and
every Document guiding your delivery is well updated so you are
advised to reconfirm your full delivery information to the Agent JAMES
LOGAN right now as he is currently at CHICAGO International Airport
with your CONSIGNMENT BOX. He has already called me with his number on
his arrival 4hours ago.
He is waiting to hear from you today with the information. The
Diplomatic agent JAMES LOGAN does not know that the content of the
CONSIGNMENT BOX is $7.5Million and no circumstances should you let him
know the content. The consignments were moved from here as India
Cloths, so never allow him to open the box on OK.
He is waiting to hear from you today with the information, So you are
advice to reconfirm your full delivery information to the diplomat
more you are advice to be very fast as the Agent JAMES LOGAN has no
time to waste due to his flight ticket. So the Information you are
required to reconfirm to the Agent JAMES LOGAN is as Follow.
(1)Your Full Name
(2)Mobile Phone Number
(3)Current Home Address
Kindly contact him and the Contact person,
Name DIPLOMATIC AGENT JAMES LOGAN
CALL OR TEXT TO HIM NOW +1 (231)714-9564
So contact him to deliver your CONSIGNMENT BOX first thing tomorrow morning
possibly today, Make sure the bellow stated codes are identified when
contacting him and the content of the box should not be revealed for his
does not know the content as it's a VIP Delivery dispatched directly from my
office and the director of the Company
SHIPMENT CODE AWB33XZS
PACKAGE REGISTERED CODE NO XGT442
SECURITY CODE SCTC/2001DHX/567
TRANSACTION CODE 233/CSTC/101/33028
CERTIFICATE DEPOSIT CODE SCT/BUN/XXIV/-78/01
Dr. DOUGLAS MORRISON