fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Miss. Sandra Walter" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 09:34:04 -0700
Hello good friend,
Good day and how are you today? I hope all is well with you and your family? I am using this great opportunity to inform you that this multi the million-dollar business that we both are working on has been finally concluded with the assistance of another partner from Iceland who financed the transaction to a logical conclusion, Due to your effort sincerity courage and trustworthiness, you showed during the transaction even though it was the unfinished transfer of funds into your account due to one reason or the other, and for my kind gesture. I have left an ATM Master Card for you worth $5,750.000 Five Million Seven Hundred Fifty Thousand United States Dollars Only, To show my appreciation for your past assistance I must confess that you are truly a humble and sincere person.
However, I will gladly appreciate hearing that you have received your ATM Master Card it will be a great honor to me because you deserve it. and due to my new business establishment with my new partner, I will be very busy for a very long time kindly contact my assistance. Reverend Father Andy Baker With the below information to enable him to negotiate with the shipping company for the delivery of your ATM Master Card to you without any delay,
Contact person: Reverend Father Andy Baker
Therefore you should send him your full Name and telephone number/your correct mailing address where you want him to send the ATM Master Card to you. This information is what will enable him to deliver the ATM Master Card to you. as I have left instructions on your behalf.
Thanks for your past effort and God bless you and your family.
Miss. Sandra Walter