fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "is 100% risk free" (almost true for the criminal trying to scam you - arrests of online criminals are rare)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (AOL; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr Andrew Rogerson" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 2 Sep 2021 05:28:50 -0700
It may surprise you to receive this letter from me, since there has been no previous correspondence between us. There is an unclaimed "permanent life insurance policy" held by our deceased client. That is the reason I am contacting you.
The transaction pertains to an unclaimed "Payable-on-Death" (POD) savings monetary deposit in the sum of Ten Million Eight Hundred and Seventy Five Thousand United States Dollars Only ($10,875,000) with a reputable financial institution. The policy holder was one of our clients, Mr. Yun, a confirmed real estate tycoon. He died in an auto accident nine years ago. Since his death, no one has come forward for the claim and all our efforts to locate his relatives have been unsuccessful.
The insurance company code stipulates that "insured permanent polices" not claimed must be turned over to the abandoned property division of the state after 10years.
Therefore, I ask for your consent to be in partnership with me for the claim of this policy benefit, in view of the fact that you share the same nationality with the deceased. If you permit me to add you with your own names to the policy, all proceeds will process on your behalf. I wish to point out that I want 10% of this money to be donated to charity humanitarian home while we share the remaining 90% in ratio of 50% for me and 40% to you.
This is 100% risk free as I do have all the necessary documents to process the payout in a highly professional and confidential manner. I will provide all the relevant documents to substantiate your claim as the beneficiary. This claim requires a high level of confidentiality. Kindly provide a reachable mobile telephone number for faster communication.
Mr Andrew Rogerson
Rogerson Law Group TD Canada Trust Tower