fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "executive governor" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (AOL; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- your own good. you can also reply me on this email: (firstname.lastname@example.org) central bank operates in all the key market segments of (Aol; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr. Godwin Emefiele" <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 20:23:59 -0700
Subject: INSTRUCTION / WARNING FROM CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA.(Code: 777)
From Desk Of Dr.Godwin Emefiele
Executive Governor Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN)
Plot 33, Abubakar Tafawa Balewa Way
Central Business District,
Federal Capital Territory,
Our Ref: CBN/OHG/OXD11/2020
PAYMENT FILE: CBN/FGN/020.
IRREVOCABLE RELEASE OF YOUR PAYMENT
We write in regards to your delayed Contract/Inheritance Funds in the
sum of Twenty Seven Million United States Dollars (US$27,000,000.00)
which you are yet to receive as a result of your inability to raise
the required fee(s) to conclude your Transaction.
The United Nations has decided to proffer a solution that will make it
easier for all the Beneficiaries to receive their Funds. We understood
that some Fees are required in order to process and Transfer your
Funds into your Account. We are also aware that most Beneficiaries do
not have these required fees. We have therefore deliberated with the
Bank in charge of this payment to allow Beneficiaries the privilege of
receiving their Funds in two (2) or three (3) installments. In this
case, Beneficiaries will no longer be required to pay the fee at once
but part of it depending on the number of installments such
Beneficiary will like his/her Funds to be released to him/her.
Write the Bank and request that you want your fund to be transferred
to your account by installments payment,(ATM & Wire transfer) so that
once the first payments enters into your account you can then use
money from there to facilitate the transfer of the remaining
balance,once the first installments enters into your account
withdrawal from your account to Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) .Online
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in which is now in charge of your
Payment has agreed to give the Beneficiaries the option of receiving
their Funds at once, in two or three installments. Therefore, you
should send him your full Name and telephone number/your correct
mailing address. What a shame and embarrassment? If actually, you have
spent money to execute this contract and have spent money in the hands
of the fraudsters and impostors without achieving your goal in
receiving this fund, what stops you from giving out one chance benefit
of doubt and sacrifice with this token fee to see your fund payment
This will help you the beneficiaries to pay part of the fee and
receive part of their Funds with which such beneficiary can upset the
remaining fee and receive his/her complete Funds.To break this down:
(Three Hundred and Fifty Dollars $350) only will facilitate the
release of (Seven Million United States Dollars US$7,000,000.00 only).
(Four Hundred Dollars $400) fee will facilitate the release of Ten
Million United States Dollars (US$10,000,000.00) only and ($750.00)
Seven Hundred and Fifty Dollars fee which is the total fee that will
facilitate the release of your Full Contract/inheritance Funds in the
sum of Twenty Seven Million United States Dollars (US 27,000,000.00)
into an online account here for easy and smooth transfer into any Bank
in the world.
However, Feel free to inform us how much you can raise should you
cannot afford any of the above Mentioned installment so as for us to
talk to the Bank to know how much out of your Funds they could release
to you with the amount you can come up with for the final and smooth
release of your online account.
This is the best the United Nations can do for you and you are advised
to take advantage of this opportunity. Kindly, Get back to me
immediately with your option so that i will forward you the contact
person at the paying Bank in Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). to
indicate your preferred option.
Please make sure that you didn't hesitate making the payment down to
the agency by today so that they could have the certificate
endorsed,signed and stamped immediately without any further delay .
After all this process has been carried out, then we would have to
proceed to the bank tomorrow for the transfer of your compensation
funds which is valued at the sum of $27.000,000.00 usd which was
suppose to have been transferred to you all this while.
Don't keep us waiting for your own good. You can also reply me on this
email: (firstname.lastname@example.org) Central Bank operates in all the key
market segments of Nigerian and West African economy. Our business
operations create opportunities for you I am expecting to receive your
earliest reply and details of your receiving bank account.
Your earliest response will be a great advantage to you!
Telephone +234 9025101580
Executive Governor Central Bank of Nigeria
Email Address: email@example.com