fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs.Joan Felix <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 04:46:41 -0700
Subject: Re: Payment Approved Number: HDJ/UN/Q99/NL33
This is Mrs. Joan Felix, IMF Consultant in West African Region. I wish to update you on the latest development regarding your fund. The total sum of â¬1,200,000:00 EUR belonging to you was lifted from Bank of Africa to Europe Arab Bank PLC. You are entitled to receive the aforementioned amount with no delay, get in-contact with Europe Arab Bank PLC and you will be properly director on how to receive your fund. Forward this Payment Approved Number HDJ/UN/Q99/NL33 and the required detail to the bank.
Payment Approved Number: HDJ/UN/Q99/NL33
Your Full Name:.....................
Get in-contact with Europe Arab Bank PLC with below detail. Note email only for record purpose.
Director: Mr. Kebi Annex, CEO Arab Bank Group and Chairman EAB
Bank Name: Europe Arab Bank PLC
Address: 35 Green Garden, Lagos Nigeria.
Working Hours: Open 8am - Closes 6pm Monday-Friday.
Mrs. Joan Felix, IMF Consultant in West African Region
Disclaimer: This message and its attachment, if any, are confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and delete this message and its attachment, if any, from your system. You should not copy this message or disclose its contents to any other person or use it for any purpose. Statements and opinions expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender, and do not necessarily reflect those of Flynas Company. Flynas accepts no liability for damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. ÙØ°Ù Ø§ÙØ¨Ø±ÙØ¯ Ù Ù
Ø±ÙÙØ§ØªÙ (Ø¥Ù ÙØ¬Ø¯Øª) ØªÙ
Ø«Ù ÙØ«ÙÙØ© Ø³Ø±ÙØ© ÙØ¯ ØªØØªÙÙ Ø¹ÙÙ Ù
Ø§ÙØ© ÙØØµØ§ÙØ© ÙØ§ÙÙÙÙØ©. Ø¥Ø°Ø§ ÙÙ
ØªÙÙ Ø§ÙØ´Ø®Øµ Ø§ÙÙ
Ø¹ÙÙ Ø¨ÙØ°Ù Ø§ÙØ±Ø³Ø§ÙØ© ÙØ¬Ø¨ Ø¹ÙÙÙ ØªÙØ¨ÙÙ Ø§ÙÙ
ÙØ±Ø³Ù Ø¨Ø®Ø·Ø£ ÙØµÙÙÙØ§ Ø¥ÙÙÙØ Ù ØØ°Ù Ø§ÙØ±Ø³Ø§ÙØ© Ù Ù
Ø±ÙÙØ§ØªÙØ§ (Ø¥Ù ÙØ¬Ø¯Øª) Ù
Ù Ø§ÙØØ§Ø³Ø¨ Ø§ÙØ¢ÙÙ Ø§ÙØ®Ø§Øµ Ø¨Ù. ÙÙØ§ ÙØ¬ÙØ² ÙÙ ÙØ³Ø® ÙØ°Ù Ø§ÙØ±Ø³Ø§ÙØ© Ø£Ù Ù
Ø±ÙÙØ§ØªÙØ§ (Ø¥Ù ÙØ¬Ø¯Øª) Ø£Ù Ø£Ù Ø¬Ø²Ø¦ Ù
ÙÙØ§Ø Ø£Ù Ø§ÙØ¨ÙØ Ø¨Ù
ØØªÙÙØ§ØªÙØ§ ÙØ£Ù Ø´Ø®Øµ . Ø¹ÙÙ
Ø§Ù Ø¨Ø£Ù Ø§ÙØ¥ÙØ§Ø¯Ø§Øª Ù Ø§ÙØ¢Ø±Ø§Ø¡ Ø§ÙØªÙ ØªØÙÙÙØ§ ÙØ°Ù Ø§ÙØ±Ø³Ø§ÙØ© ØªØ¹Ø¨Ø± ÙÙØ· Ø¹Ù Ø±Ø£Ù Ø§ÙÙ
ÙØ±Ø³Ù Ø ÙÙÙØ³ Ø¨Ø§ÙØ¶Ø±ÙØ±Ø© Ø±Ø£Ù Ø´Ø±ÙØ© Ø·ÙØ±Ø§Ù ÙØ§Ø³ Ø ÙÙØ§ ØªØªØÙ
Ù Ø§ÙØ´Ø±ÙØ© Ø£Ù Ù
Ø³Ø¦ÙÙÙØ© Ø¹Ù Ø§ÙØ£Ø¶Ø±Ø§Ø± Ø§ÙÙØ§ØªØ¬Ø© Ø¹Ù Ø£Ù ÙÙØ±ÙØ³Ø§Øª ÙØ¯ ÙØÙ
ÙÙØ§ ÙØ°Ø§ Ø§ÙØ¨Ø±ÙØ¯