fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: FedEx Delivery company Head Office <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 00:30:10 +0100
Subject: Your Attention Is Needed In This Matter :
FedEx Delivery company Head Office
Brooklyn, New York
United State of America
FedEx Notification Center
This is FedEx courier Delivery Company of Brooklyn, New York, the
management of this company wishes to inform you that we received an
ATM CARD PACKAGE with some vital documents attached to it, for safety
delivery to your residential address in your country.
This package was brought to our office by the international
Non-literary department to be delivered to you. kindly reconfirm the
below details to enable us commence with the delivery immediately.
Parcel owner address.........
We will register your package and send you the tracking numbers before
we proceed for safety delivery of your package as soon as you
reconfirm the required informationâs for safety delivery. FedEx is one
of the world's great success stories, the start-up that revolutionized
the delivery of packages and information. In the past30 years, we've
grown up and grown into a diverse family of companies as FedEx that's
bigger, stronger, better than ever.Waiting to read your urgent mail
with the needed information
requested from you about this your successful delivery.
Mr Brent Aaron Long
FedEx DELIVERY COMPANY
Call direct (609)785-3919a