fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Stuart Falkin" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 13:06:24 -0700
Subject: INVESTMENT PARTNERSHIP AND PROJECT FINANCING
I am contacting you with a keen interest to consider a possible collaboration through investments in viable projects in your country. As a way of introduction, I am an accredited broker to a financial services firm here in the UK.
The financial services firm I represent is solely responsible for investing funds through a diversified investment strategy, targeting positive capital returns through a global expansive portfolio, hence their interest in seeking possible collaboration with a capable private individual or firm globally.
The financial services firm intends to invest the sum of ?1,000,000,000.00 (One Billion Euros) in areas of agriculture, mining, manufacturing, construction, Real estates, Production, trading etc, as well as any business you consider viable. We are ready to invest in project developments and business ventures that can generate at least 5% Annual Return on Investment (AROI) per annum.
We will be glad to partner with you in any viable project initiative within our scope of funding. If interested please write to me for possible business collaboration, you can reach me on Email.
London - UK.