fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "@lawyer.com" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "cheque " (Beware of any scheme that involves cashing checks or money orders and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere - you'll be liable for the entire amount if the checks or money orders turn out to be fake, even after you have received and forwarded cash. If it's a lottery prize, remember that real lotteries do not pay large prizes by check. They wire the money directly to your bank account and you do not pay for that. Many scammers promise a large check only in order to then demand payment of courier fees for a fake courier service. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "MAEUEC / :UK/EU/XX951" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 16:35:36 +0100
Subject: Info .
European Union and Cooperation (UK)
Directorate Of International Payment And Transfer.
Debt Reconciliation/Audit Unit MAEUEC / :UK/EU/XX951
King Charles St, Whitehall, Westminster, London
Foreign & Commonwealth Office,
Ref Nº: UK/EU/X951120
File Nº: IMF/00311/2020
IMMEDIATE RELEASE OF YOUR FUND 1.5M ONLY VIA ATM MASTER CARD
It is a pleasure to write you that we have reconciled with our Monetary Audit and Investigation department on the reimbursement of some funds spent by you during the cause of your inadequate dealings with some impostors who claim to be staff in banks and other regional payment centers. Our reconciliation team with the prospectus instruments of the United Nations after freezing suspected impostors accounts. These supports were fully effective with the help of the World Bank after a summit meeting in EUROPE, on the financial analysis on financial stability issues fluctuating their economy with the international global standard.
After a proper investigation, our Monetary Audit and Investigation department gave us a list of customers to be paid the sum Eur 1.5m (One million, Five hundred thousand Euros) who fell victim to these imposters due to unawareness And mode of payment was as well specified for proper conducts and financial regulations to kick against criminality during the process of payment.
We have arranged your payment through our swift card centers, which is the latest instruction from the International Monetary Fund Reconciliation Office. The card center will send you an ATM master card loaded with cash which you will use to withdraw your money in any ATM center, Banks and Union Pay Credit outlets in the world, or a certified cheque to your mailing address You are hereby selected as an honor for this payment approval, which you are to acknowledge the receipt of this mail-in returning the required below to the Bank Department. For more information Contact Barrister.Albert Breer. Legal practitioner, Tfno/Fax: Tfno/Fax:+44-758-793-6279 E-mail: email@example.com
Finally; for the purpose of proper verification of your claims, it is imperative that you furnish us with the following details, to process and release/remittance of your payment:
1) YOUR FULL NAME(S):
2) FULL ADDRESS, CITY ( For ATM Card or cheque delivery):
4) MOBILE PHONE AND FAX:
5) COMPANY NAME:
7) AGE, AND MARITAL STATUS:
8) A COPY OF YOUR INT'L PASSPORT/DRIVERS LICENSE:
For your information, you have to stop any further communication with any other person (s) or office (s) to avoid any hitches in receiving your payment. Because of Impostors, we hereby issued you our code of conduct, which is (ATM-7750) so you have to indicate this code when contacting the card center by using it as your subject.
Kindly be informed that recipients shall be liable to all costs arising for the delivery of the cheque parcel. This is due to Legal law protecting all funds misappropriation.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs,
European Union, /Team Coordinator.
NOTICE: This E-mail (including attachments) is covered by the
Electronic Communication Privacy Acts, 18 U.S.C Sec 2510-2521, is
confidential and may be legally privileged. The information is solely
for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or other use of the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this E-mail in error, please notify us by return e-mail and
delete this message.
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.