fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "your urgent reply" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Nur Azlina Binti Muhammad Zambri <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 20:41:54 +0100
Subject: Urgent Transaction Of US$10.6 million !!
I hope this mail meets you in good health.
I am Mrs. Nur Azlina Binti Muhammad Zambri, I work with Investment
Management Company here in Malaysia.
Please I have a very important and urgent transaction of US$10.6
million that I want to execute with your cooperation for our mutual
I am contacting you because of the need to involve a foreigner with
foreign bank account and foreign beneficiary.
I need your full co-operation to make this work fine because the
management is ready to approve this payment to any foreigner who has
correct information about this funds, which I will feed you with, if
you are able and with capability to handle such amount in strict
confidence and trust according to my instructions and advice for our
mutual benefit .
I'am waiting for your urgent reply so that i will give you more
information about this deal.
Please reply back to my private email address ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Mrs Nur Azlina Binti Muhammad Zambri