fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "ecowas " (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- d. akingbola with below email address ( email@example.com ) ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) thank you (Hotmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Louise Gelineau" <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 03:58:33 -0700
Subject: YOUR FUND IS READY IN GTB BANK
Metro Plaza, Plot 991/992,
Zakari Maillart Street
Cadastral Zone AO,
Central Business District.
ATTN: My Dear
Good news, Ecowas Development has actually verified and discovered
that your payment has been unnecessarily Delayed by corrupt officials
of the Company who are Trying to divert your fund of $5.750,000,00
into their private accounts in Africaâs and they have ordered by
Ecowas Commission to get Fund through GTB Bank online Transfer or atm
Therefore we GTB Bank have obtained an irrevocable payment guarantee
on your Payment here in GTB Bank to make your payment through online
transfer or their new ATM CARD system which you can use to withdraw
your money in any ATM MACHINE around your area.
So we are here by inviting you to our office to monitor your transfer
or pick up your GTB ATM VISA CARD, but if you cannot be able to come
down here in our office in person, be inform that you are going to pay
us to obtain online transfer legalization Fund transfer permit or
shipping fee of your ATM visa CARD, so if you are unable to come down
here then you are required to update us, so that they will proceed
with the necessary arrangement for the transfer or delivery of your
ATM VISA CARD.
As of now be informed that all arrangement has been done and concluded
and the online transfer or ATM VISA CARD has be in your name, but to
RE-ACTIVATE the ATM Card you have to forward your current information
as requested below to the bank gtb Bank ATM Card re-rectification
center, then they will send you the GTB ATM CARD for your immediate
Here is the information you have to forward to him to enable him know
is you and send your bank draft all the information about us and our
official bank email will be send to you once this information below
1.Your Full Names___________
3.Direct Cell Numbers_________
Therefore you are advised to contact GTB Bank accountant Manager Mr.
Raymond D. Akingbola with below Email address (
firstname.lastname@example.org ) (
email@example.com ) Thank you once again my
good friend, May God establishes you with this little compensation
Jesus name Amen.
CONTACT PERSON: Mr. Raymond D. Akingbola
Chief Executive Officer GTB Bank Pl c
Direct Hotline: +229-62524689
Get back to me once you received the ATM VISA CARD OK.
God Bless You.
Mrs. Louise Gelineau