fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "god fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "MRS .ROSE JENKINS." <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 19:29:10 +0000
Subject: I wish to inform you about my success in getting those funds transferred.
Hello My Good Friend ,
I wish to inform you about my success in getting those funds transferred.
Though, it is indeed, a very longtime. On my singular, I am much
delighted and privileged to contact you again, after couple of months
now. It takes fate, courage and God's fearing to remember old friends
and at the same time, to show gratification to them, despite
circumstances that made things did not worked out as we projected
then. I take this liberty to inform you that, the transaction i called
you for an assistance and building of orphanage home which didn't
worked out then, finally worked out now by God's infinite mercy, I am
obliged to inform you that I later found another new God fearing
person from Mexico who succeeded in receiving the funds.
Everything was perfectly done because he strike the project with one
of the Lady accountant who works with the Remittance Department of the
Federal Ministry of Finance (FMF) and she rendered a tremendous help
to him. My new partner initiated this idea and everything worked out
successfully, and I decided to contact you, just to let you know that
i have conscience as a human being due to your tremendous effort and
contribution to make things work out in retrospect and in appreciation
of your earlier assistance to me in receiving the Funds I have decided
to compensate you with the sum of US$950,000.00 United State dollars
only ( NINE Hundred and Fifty Thousand United State dollars only.
Meanwhile, I must inform you that, I even succeeded the operation
which I went through and I am getting better now. I am presently in
Mexico with my new friend / brother for the establishment of the
charitable foundation as I told you previously.
I just arrived yesterday night and checked inn, in a hotel where I
meet my new friend / brother in the lord and decided to use the hotel
business center to mail you. Now, with my sincere heart, I Left an ATM
MasterCard credited in your favor with tune of US$950,000.00 United
State dollars only ( NINE Hundred and Fifty Thousand United State
dollars only. in the custody of a reverend father and a reputable man
that use to pray for me during the time I was in hospital to deposit
in a DHL Expresscourier / security company in your favor as
COMPENSATION for your dedication, humanity and contribution, as it
were pending your contact to him for onward lifting and delivery to
you at your address in your country.
Here is the UPS Express Courier Service that will deliver your ATM
Card Compensation Fund value of US$ 950,000,00 us dollars and the Card
will deliver to your door step immediately you contact the UPS Express
Courier Service with this below contact details and also send them
your full delivery address below:
Company Name: UPS Express Courier Service
Contact Person: Director Mr . Don Williams
Contact E-mail address: (email@example.com)
Contact Phone: +229 66371047
Kindly, contact them with the above information for the shipment of
your Compensation ATM Card to your door step this week without any
1. YOUR FULL NAME
2. YOUR ADDRESS WHERE TO SEND THE ATM MasterCard.
3. YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER
He will advice you further if there is any other thing you are
required to provide, Feel free to reach him via his email address and
get back to me as soon as you receives the ATM Visa Credit Card
Thank You and Be Blessed.