fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- in touched with the nurse mrs. manal yusuf (email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com ) and instruct her the address (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "MRS. SABAH IBRAHIM" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 14:56:23 -0700
Subject: Compensation for your effort
How are you I hope you are very fine with your entire family? If so glory be to Almighty God.
I'm happy to inform you about my success in getting those funds transferred under the cooperation of a new partner from GREECE, Presently Iâm in GREECE for a better treatment and building of the orphanage home projects with the total money.
Meanwhile, I didn't forget your past efforts and attempts to assist me in transferring those funds and use it for the building of the orphanage home and helping the less privilege.
Please contact my nurse in Burkina Faso, her name is Mrs. Manal Yusuf , ask her to send you the compensation of $600,000.00USD which i have credited with the United Bank for Africa (UBA) bank into an ATM card before i traveled for my treatment, you will indicate your contact as my else's business associate that tried to help me, but it could not work out for us, and I appreciated your good efforts at that time very much. so feel free and get in touched with the nurse Mrs. Manal Yusuf (email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org ) and instruct her the address where to send the ATM card to you.
Please i am in the hospital here, i would not have much time to check emails or respond to you, but in case you have any important message do send me as an update, i might instruct the doctor to check it and respond to you, meanwhile, once you received the ATM CARD, do not delay to inform me.
Finally, remember that I had forwarded an instruction to the nurse on your behalf to deliver the ATM card to you, so feel free to get in touch with her by email she will send the ATM card to you without any delay.
Thank you and God bless you.
MRS SABAH IBRAHIM