fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "MRS. LUCEIN OVIA" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 14:53:07 +0100
Subject: YOUR FUND WORTH USD$750,000.00 IS READ CONTACT FEDERAL RESERVE BANK
OF NEW YORK IMMEDIATELY
FEDERAL RESERVE BANK OF NEW YORK
33 LIBERTY ST, NEW YORK
NY 10045, UNITED STATES
CONTACT FEDERAL RESERVE BANK OF NEW YORK FOR YOUR FUND
ATTENTION FUND OWNER:
THE FEDERAL RESERVE BANK OF NEW YORK WRITES TO INFORM YOU THAT SOME
FUND WORTH USD$750,000.00 HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE WORLD BANK
ORGANIZATION AND PRESIDENCY UNION TO BE RECEIVED BY YOU AS FORM OF
COMPENSATION FOR BEING A SCAM VICTIM IN THE PAST YEAR'S AND
COMPENSATION FOR COVID-19 AFFECTED.
NOTE: YOU ARE REQUESTED TO CONFIRM YOUR VALID INFORMATION SO AS TO
ENABLE THE BANK REACH OUT TO YOU AND BE SURE WE ARE DEALING WITH THE
AFFECTED PERSON OR THE FAMILY.
CONFIRM BELOW INFORMATION;
1) YOUR NAME:...
2) YOUR COUNTRY:.....
3) YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER:....
4) YOUR HOME ADDRESS:..
5) YOU'RE AGE:.............
6) IDENTITY CARD OR PASSPORT OR DRIVER'S LICENSE:...
THANKS YOU FOR GIVING US THE OPPORTUNITY TO SERVE YOUR BANKING.
CONTACT FEDERAL RESERVE BANK OF NEW YORK
PRESIDENT, CHIEF EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OFFICER
MR. JOHN C. WILLIAMS
call Tel: +1 646-583-6013
MRS. LUCEIN OVIA
YOUR FUND WORTH USD$750,000.00 IS READ CONTACT FEDERAL RESERVE BANK OF
NEW YORK IMMEDIATELY