fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "atm card department" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "foreign remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Kevin Brown" <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 06:23:06 -0700
Subject: Notification of payment by ATM Master Credit Card
Notification of payment by ATM Master Credit CardWe hereby officially
notifying you about the present arrangement to pay you, your over due
Winning Prize/inheritance fund which you couldnot complete the process
of the released of your transfer pin code through the Digitized
Payment System. We have decided to pay your funds through (ATM Master
Express Credit Card) This arrangement was initiated/constituted by the
World Bank, United Nation and Paris Club, due to fraudulent activities
going on within the world.The World Bank, United Nations and Paris
Club introduced this payment arrangement as to enable our Contract
,Winning Prize,inheritance beneficiary to receive their fund without
any interference. the ATM Master Express Credit Card was contracted
and powered by GOLD CARDWORLD WIDE.The ATM MASTER EXPRESS CARD is
credited with the sum of$5,500.000.00 USD(Five Million Five Hundred
Thousand United State Dollars), it is already loaded in the Master
Card which you can use to access your fund in any ATM Stand/location
worldwide and remember that the maximum withdrawal daily limit is Ten
Thousand United States $486.8 million we have concluded delivery
arrangement with the below courier services companies and their
delivery time is stated below.UPS=48hrs/$105
DHL=4days/$130DESCRIPTION OF PARCEL:ATM card/original certificate of
Bonded draft of weight :ââââââ0.17kg
Total weight of parcel :âââââââ0.37kg
Color of Parcel :âââââââââ-Dark Brown
Length of days :ââââââââââ24hours
Delivery Type:ââââââââââ-Premium Service
Delivery Status:ââââââââââVirtual Pending
Customer Number:âââââââââFRAl45771001Your parcel contains the
following documents:Contact the ATM CARD Department +1 9295684507
Email to contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Kindly provide me
with the below details in your response to thiemail and let me know
which courier company you would want us to use for the shipment of
your ATM Card to you.1. Valid Delivery Address:
2. Full Names:
3. Phone Number:
6. Sex:Here is one of our customer that received his Credit Card few
last week ago here is tracking number
His Name is John EdwardsWesite: http://www.dhl.com/en.htmlDHL Track
Express Shipments (8010820016)HERE IS CARD INFO1. Credit Card Number:
2. Pin Code: (keep it secret for reason)
3. CCV Pin: 153Understand that you will be liable for the delivery fee
of your ATM Master Express Card to you with any of the above courier
company.CONGRATULATIONS IN ADVANCE.Best Regards Mr.Kevin Brown
email@example.com Director Foreign Remittance Department,