fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr.Java Johnson" <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 05:05:34 -0700
Subject: Attention Beneficiary
Your first payment of $5000 is about to sent today the Scam Victims
compensation funds of $2.5Million Dollars which was approved to be
release to you by the President of this Country Mr.Patrice Talo and
You are advise to contact us with your full information such as below
and Know we will be sending your First Payment of $5000 per day until
your total fund sum of $2.5 Million USD have been Completed.
Your phone number.......
For more information contact us with
this,Email:(firstname.lastname@example.org) call or text
We will keep sending you payment $5000 until your total fund is
Completed $2.5 Million USD.